June 01, 2012

HAPPY STRAWBERRY DONUT DAY!!!




It's Doughnut Day!!!?

 
I had no idea to be honest but when my first day off in 11 days just happens to land on freaking DOUGHNUT DAY you best believe-- in my world-- the stars have aligned and it's going to be a good one.  And I learned that it's doughnut day because of the women that used to bring doughnuts to the men in WWII.  Huh... interesting, eh?

Because pay day is a few days away yet, going to a cafe and finding a delicious donut to curb this celebratory craving wasn't an option.  So instead, knowing I had strawberries that needed using, I scoured the interwebs for a strawberry donut recipe with what I had on hand.  Strawberry donuts, people... I mean, come on.  *swoon, swoon*  Like Dunkin Donuts blueberry donuts-- but better!

I also wanted to find a recipe that didn't require yeast because I don't have a dough hook for Windy the Mixer (sad face!) and don't trust my hand kneading process.  The adapted recipe is below and super easy!!  Here are the ingredients! "Who cares, Mandi... Let's see donuts!!!"






At first I made them in mini donut pans but since I only have one that got a bit tedious.


.  Then I opted to make mini muffin donuts and I just dipped their tops in glaze.





I typically prefer a donut with some crunch to it-- like fritters, but despite that they were cakier, they were delicious!



And very festive!  Pretty little donuts.  :)


Theeeeen I thought...  what if I deep fried these little muffin donuts and then dipped them in glaze? 



And I did that with the cute mini donuts as well.




They are pretty darned tasty!!!
(Ridiculously low in fat. 
Like-- better for you than drinking water).


Oh donuts... I can't wait to feed you to my friend Chris tonight.  I'm going to make him eat so many of them!!!



I've also decided that 'doughnuts' are donuts that require yeast and 'donuts' are donuts that do not.  I'm not sure if that is true but it is 8,000,000% believed in my head and will spell it as such!


Strawberry Sugar Lard Rings, you make me happy.



In joy,

MandiCrocker


RECIPE FOR STRAWBERRY DONUTS



  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 cup cane sugar
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1 cup canola oil
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp. vinegar
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped strawberries
  •  1/4 cup pureed strawberries
  • 1 cup powdered sugar

  • Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. In a medium bowl, stir together oil, buttermilk, vanilla, and eggs.  Add to dry ingredients. Stir just until combined, add vinegar, and mix thoroughly. Fold in ½ cup finely chopped strawberries. Lightly grease a mini doughnut or muffin pan. Fill molds three-quarters full and bake until golden brown (about 8 minutes).

    Meanwhile, make glaze: Whisk together remaining ¼ cup pureed strawberries, powdered sugar, and 1 Tbsp. water, adding more water if necessary. Once donuts are cool, dip the tops in the glaze and garnish with sprinkles (if desired). 

    OR... if you'd like a crispier version.  Let them cool out of the oven, then fry then in oil for four seconds, flip them over.  Remove from oil and place on a wire rack.  When cool enough to touch but still warm, dip them in the glaze and return to wire rack.  Let dry before serving.  Or not.  :)

    No comments: