July 22, 2013

Ode to Darius: Red Velvet Cupcake Recipe

I met Darius when I had first moved to Chicago.  I was in the process of starting my own business and he had just started his first business The Cupcake Gallery.  I noticed it a few times driving around so I finally stopped in one day.  I asked him lots of questions about starting a business.  He was incredibly gracious.

And then I stuffed my face with one of his Red Velvet Cupcakes.  While they're not my favorite kind of cupcake, I always order those and Chocolate Chip Cookies at any bakery I visit to get a feel for the place.  Those are comfort food staples!  Needless to say, Darius and The Cupcake Gallery got it right.  It's an INCREDIBLY delicious, moist cupcake with flavor... ooey gooey frosting... and I HATE THAT going on in other bakers!!!  ;)

Darius is SUPER awesome. He's an incredibly talented cook with a HUGE heart and an all around fun loving personality.  Not to mention, he's one of the most hardworking people I've ever met.  The man puts down a goal and goes for it.  He's a kindred spirit that believes anything in life is possible-- and those are always good peeps!

As my dad would say, 'do yourself a flavor' and follow him on Twitter @DariusCooks. He posts a new recipe everyday.  I learn from him constantly!  Also, check out his website:  www.DariusCooks.com and youtube channel: www.youtube.com/EverydayCookin

And finally, the moment you've all been waiting for...

The Red Velvet Cupcake Recipe I stole off of his website...

After slapping myself in the face that he actually POSTED IT... (seriously dude!???)

Because soooooo many people have asked for it...

Because I've ALWAYS wanted it...

Because it's just THAT delicious and good...

And I'm TOTALLY a cupcake snob...

You will be so happy.  :)



In the words of Darius, "Food is my life.  Life is my food,"
MandiCrocker



RED VELVET CUPCAKES

1 cup of vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups of buttermilk
2 cups of sugar
1 tablespoon of vanilla
2 eggs
1 tablespoon of red food coloring
1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon of baking soda
1 pinch of salt
2 cups of flour

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Mix vegetable oil, buttermilk, and sugar until well combined
3. Stir in eggs, vanilla, and red food coloring
4. Mix in salt, flour, baking soda, and cocoa powder until well combined
5. Pour into baking cups and bake for about 17 minutes or until a toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean

Cream Cheese Frosting
2 8oz packages of cream cheese
2 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
2 tablespoons of vanilla
About 1 cup of very cold heavy cream
 
1. Cream together cream cheese and sugar until blended
2. Stir in vanilla
3. Stream in heavy cream until desired consistency has been formed

1 comment:

Unknown said...

ooohhhhhh I'm going to try this one!!!