CARAMELLY CARAMEL CORN
It's true. They weren't lying. I have been afraid of hot caramel for the past 26 years. Since the Great Bubble Finger "Why Did You Make Me Do This, Dad!?" Caramel Popcorn Ball Travesty of '84, I've left it to the pros. Well, ladies and germs... I'm a grown woman now. I'm 30 & 1/2 years old. And I'm ready to take the big, bad boiled caramel by the cahones & show it who's boss! (And it ain't Tony Danza!)
So here we go! YAY!!! :)
7 quarts of plain popped popcorn (28 cups)
2 cups dry roasted peanuts (optional)
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 tsp salt
1 cup butter
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp butter extract
1 'Disney's Halloween Treat' DVD and or
The Canterbury Ghost
1. I suck at making popcorn (I said that with as much class as I could muster) so you're going to have to ask a neighbor. I've tried less oil, more oil, hotter temp, lower temp & alas, my corn is always burnt and/or chewy and/or BOTH. Waaah. Suggestions?
But make-a zee popcorn. You can't skip this step.
Grease two shallow baking pans with butter or cooking spray. Divvy up the popcorn & nuts between the two trays. Set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 250. In a medium saucepan, combine the brown sugar, corn syrup, butter and salt.
Bring to a boil over medium heat and stir thoroughly til blended. Let it all boil for 5 minutes while stirring continuously.
Turn on a little Wham, 'Careless Whisper' to be exact & that'll take you right to the five minute mark. "Guilty feet have got-a no popcorn..."
4. Once George is over, remove the pan from the heat and stir in baking soda, vanilla & butter extract. The mixture will be light and foamy.
Immediately pour over the popcorn and stir until decently coated. And never fear! Once the caramel has been in the oven, it will be much easier to coat over the pock-orn.
Sylvia Plath, I finally get it now!
5. Bake for 1 hour. Every 15 minutes, take the pans out & stir & stir & stir. Take a minute & inhale deeply. IT SMELLS SO DELICIOUS!!! Don't believe me? Ask the dishes!
6. Line the counter top with waxed or parchment paper. Dump the GOLDEN CARMELLY DELICIOUSNESS onto the paper & break apart any chunks that are sticking. Cool completely & store in an airtight container or your underwear drawer. Cause your roomies don't go in there. :)
Oh my gosh, I just tried a few pieces of this... HOLY AUNT JEMIMA MUFFINS, one bite takes me back to Halloween in grade school. How funny that a taste can be a memory. Look what I made, Popskies! :) You may now play 'Disney's Halloween Treat' and invite your childhood best friend for life over, Shanny Bananny, and giggle & laugh & drink apple cider & eat caramel popcorn til you puke. Happy Halloween!!! :) :) :)
Too lazy to make your own? Check out Garrett's Popcorn out of Chicago.
*swoon* THE BEST POPCORN ANYWHERE. *swoon*