July 06, 2010

Blueberry Bread Pudding

Chicago summers are pretty brutual.  And after eight years in L.A., I'm relearning the word HUMIDITY.  YOWSER. Since I was a baby, I've been a bit of a sweat monster.  It could be 20 below zero & I'd still have sweat on my nose.  SEXY.  But thanks in part to my friend Robyn's blog, 3 Peas In Brooklyn, where she describes her struggle with summer, I too have decided to make the best of it.

When I think about it, all that I really don't care for is the heat & humidity.  Other than that, I LOVE summer!!??

Here are some things I love:

  • Barbecues- this cannot be stated enough.  I LOOOVE hanging out with friends, relaxing, drinking ice cold beverages, listening to music, playing cards, eating pasta salads & grilled dogs-- LOVE bbq's.  :)
  • Camping- it's like a 24 hour barbecue, lol!!!  :)  :)  :)
  • Beach Volleyball
  • Ripe, Luscious Fruit
  • POOLS- I would be super cool  (literally!) with summer if I had a pool
  • Corn on the cob
  • Ice Cream- not out of a carton but that you actually go out for... it's an outing, a summer event!
  • Seeing kids conked out on their mom's laps after a rousing & adventurous day at the beach (those little angel faces that were shrieking like demons hours earlier)
  • Paper Plates- we always used those wicker paper plate holders that would be stained with ketchup & old potato salad, mmm...  ;)
  • Sundresses
  • Walks At Night

See?  Summer ain't all that bad.  :)

And in honor of luscious, ripe fruit season I made a delicious Blueberry Bread Pudding!

Adapted from here
I changed it up a little based on the reviews & what I had on hand.


Ingredients

1 (16-ounce) Italian Country Bread Loaf
1 (8-ounce) package mascarapone cheese, cut into pieces
4 cups fresh blueberries, divided
6 large eggs
3 cups non-fat milk
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 tsp of cinnamon
1 (10-ounce) jar blueberry preserves

Arrange half of bread cubes in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch pan. Sprinkle evenly with mascarapone and 2 cup blueberries; top with remaining bread cubes.


Yum, yum, yum...



Whisk together eggs, 4 cups milk, sugar, butter, maple syrup and cinnamon; pour over bread mixture, pressing bread cubes to absorb egg mixture. Cover and chill eight hours.


Bake, covered, at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 30 more minutes or until lightly browned and set.

Stir together remaining 2 cups blueberries and blueberry preserves in a saucepan over low heat until warm. Serve blueberry mixture over bread pudding. Garnish, if desired.

It reheats really well, too-- or you can eat it cold!
I can't tell you how wonderful those blueberries crunch. Reminds me of a scene in the BEST MOVIE EVER 'Overboard' with Goldie Hawn & Kurt Russell.  Goldie, as her stuck up rich character Annie Proffitt says, "Caviar should be round, and hard, and of adequate size, and should burst in your mouth at *precisely* the right moment."
These blueberries do.  Enjoy! :)
 
Blueberries and barbecues,
MandiCrocker

1 comment:

Michelle said...

You had me at mascarpone. This looks awesome - will try it on my guinea pigs, er, I mean family, posthaste.