January 19, 2011

Dolce Far Niente: 'The Sweetness of Doing Nothing'

I've mentioned the Italian phrase 'Dolce Far Niente' a few times now.  But there is also a Spanish proverb that I adore:  "How lovely it is to do nothing and then to rest afterwards."

To us Americans, it seems like the world's laziest quote.  How dare we do nooooothing!!!???  I don't know... I have learned to REEEEEVEL in it.  Some of my favorite days have been really listening to myself, my body, where I'm at mentally, spiritually and doing exactly what that inner voice inside says to do. It's not about laziness or being unproductive, it's about taking the time to connect with the parts of myself that I neglect when I'm running myself into the ground.  Those parts we neglect are just as important, if not more.

What I've been hearing lately:
  • "Mand, you're tired.  You need rest. Sleep in and revel in it because you're making yourself sick."
  • "Mand, you've been running around, you're jobless and stressed out.  You need to connect with God and find your balance."
  • "Mand, it is imperative for you to eat this chili with cheese, onions and sour cream and love every freakin' bite."  ;)

It's the best voice in the world because it's mine.
My inner voice when I'm my best self, whole and complete, happy and stress-free.


The other night, it was about 'Dolce Far Niente' Eat, Pray, Love style.  (I know, I know-- barf, vomit, gag-- I'm mentioning that book/movie AGAIN)... But I love the simplicity of the meal Liz Gilbert creates for herself in Italy and how she revels in it.  It's soooo simple and soooo sweet.  And doing absolutely nothing was EXACTLY what I needed.  So I did my best to recreate it in a way that resonated with me.

I made this meal my treat, my vacation.
 

Hard-Boiled Egg
Asparagus
Bing Cherries
Crackers
Fromage D'Affinois (which I'm pretty sure is French for 'expensive cheese')

And then this guy:


Menage a Trois is right!
Me + this meal + this wine=  Heaven

And it was the most delicous meal I've had in a while. Everything tasted so good and so fresh and so simple.  So many different tastes on one plate and I truly savored all of it.  *sigh*  I know I'm going to find a job soon and I know I have zero to worry about.  Just taking the time to remember that balance and self care amidst the craziness of resumes and job searching, it's so important.  There's just NEVER a good reason to worry or stress. 

So yeah...  I sent out resumes.  I've done my blog and I'm going to bed now.  Big Toe and I are going to snuggle like hell and then sleep like rocks.  And I'm going to wake up tomorrow in an Indulge Hangover and have a beautifully productive day.  I looooooove my life.  :)

Rest & renewal if you need it, my sleeping beauties,
MandiC.

No comments: