March 11, 2012

Hazelnut Tiramisu


It's just disgusting.  You couldn't pay me to eat an entire dish of such a creamy, gooey coffee based dessert.  Seriously-- life's too short, I only tell the truth!  My face MELTED OFF  from the fumes of nutella mixed with crunchy bits of nut.  It is, was and will always be a hideous pile of chocolate curls over cream.  I shudder at the thought.  The other unfortunate thing is that it's so easy to make. Just a shame.

If you'd like to make this unforgettable for all the wrong reasons dessert, you'll be sorry.  In fact, you should make it and send it to me.  Make me eat it for going through the torture of creating something so unworthy.  I will choke it down because I feel that bad for what I've done to you.  I will gag on every bite.  I am gagging right now!!!



INGREDIENTS:
6 egg yolks
3 T sugar
16 oz. mascarpone cheese
12-18 Ladyfingers
1 1/2 c. espresso
2 T dark rum
1 T hazelnut extract
1/3 cups of finely chopped hazelnut
1/8 c. cocoa
1/4 c. nutella
1/2 c. bittersweet chocolate curls

*A couple of quick notes.  This might look hard but it's really not. Ultimately, it's just a layer of soaked cookies and then a layer of creamy filling, you do it again & throw some toppings on top.  Don't get overwhelmed!  :)  Also, I couldn't find ladyfingers so I made my own & found the recipe here.  If you do make your own, I suggest you increase the sugar in the recipe to 5 T. because store bought are usually covered in a coating of sugar.  Also, you could probably get away with a really strongly made coffee if you need to substitute espresso!

  • In a mixing bowl, beat together the egg yolks and sugar until it's thick & pale yellow.  Add the hazelnut & mascarpone to the mixture and beat until smooth.

  • Get out a medium sized casserole dish. 
*Mine is a 2.5 liter.  Probably about 8-10 inches wide. 

  • In a small bowl mix together the rum & espresso.  Quickly dip the ladyfingers front and back and then place a layer immediately in the bottom of a casserole dish.  They're incredibly spongy so you don't want to keep them in there for too long or they'll fall apart.  Be sure to cover the entire bottom of your dish even if you have to break the ladyfingers in half to do it. 

  • Sprinkle half of your finely chopped hazelnuts over the espresso soaked ladyfingers. 

  • Scoop half of your mascarpone mixture onto that and spread it around carefully being sure it is equally distributed.  

  • Repeat these steps. Do another layer of soaked ladyfingers over the mascarpone, sprinkle the hazelnuts & then add another layer of mascarpone.  You'll want to end with the mascarpone mixture on the top.

  • Sprinkle the cocoa over the top with a shaker (I used a mesh sieve). 

  • Microwave your nutella for 30 seconds and put it in a pastry bag to distribute equally over the top.  Nutella is too thick so if you try to do it with a knife, it will swirl into the mascarpone mixture.  It'll still be tasty but you won't have a layered pretty look. 

  • Finally sprinkle your chocolate shavings over the top.
*I used a 5 lb chocolate bar I bought at Trader Joe's.  You want the chocolate to be room temperature & use a potato peeler to peel the chocolate back towards you.  Peeling towards you is the key with a peeler!

  • Refrigerate for at least two hours.


Just vomitous, I tell you.  Consider yourself warned... You'll hate it!!!  Now make it and send it to me.  SEND IT TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :)  :)  :)

Hazelnut Kisses,
MandiCrocker

P.S.  It's especially nauseating for breakfast with a delicious cup of coffee!here.

No comments: