August 31, 2013

More Delicious Treats From The Bakery!

Back in June I posted a slew of delectable goodies that I get to make at The General Store in Mazama.  Well, here it is end of August (if you can believe it) and boy, oh boy, have I got some more for you today!  We've been gearing up like crazy for the big holiday weekend and despite a few moments of panic with pass closures (rain + mudslides), it hasn't disappointed!  It is gorgeous outside and the Seattle folks have driven east in droves!  Yahooey!  :)

Are you ready???  :)  :)  :)

This is a Banana Cake with Maple Pecan Glaze, Cinnamon Caramel Whipped Cream and Granola Crunch.  So delicious... I'm not gonna lie.  :)

 
I LOVE my job.  I constantly get to play 'Chopped!' by coming up with treats that use up as many ingredients left lying around as possible.  A majority of these treats have come together just out of sheer 'we've got it on hand' and every day is a different and fun 'basket.'   
 
Cherry Almond Cupcakes with local Rainier cherries... Mmmm.  :)

 
 
This is a Chocolate Raspberry Cake with Chocolate Ganache and Raspberry Filling.  I love how shiny ganache gets-- so pretty!  :)

 
 
Mini Fruit Tarts... I love that we use local and organic as much as possible!  Wait until my post on the crazy colored produce we get in!  

 
 
These are Mexican Chocolate Cupcakes, Caramel Whipped Filling and Chipotle Chocolate Buttercream.  I always forget how delicious a little heat can be in chocolate buttercream!

 
I made these Red, White and Blue Muffins on 4th of July-- blueberry and raspberry with a white cream cheese drizzle. 

 
 
This is a really simple and rustic Strawberry Cake!



I had a bunch of milk chocolate ganache so I made some Callebaut Dark Chocolate Dipped Almond Truffles.  They tasted like a cross between Lindt truffles and Toblerones!
 

 
 
 
Black Forest Cupcakes... Chocolate cake, chocolate ganache and a stewed cherry whipped cream.  Let me tell you... I have never had such freaking delicious cherries than what they come up with here!   
 
 
 
 
Who wants to make plain old monkey bread when you can make BLUEBERRY Monkey Bread!?  *swoon, swoon*  :) 
 
 
 
 
 
 Bea, one of our other bakers who has been here for years, is AWESOME with gluten free treats.  These are her Gluten Free Brownies... Holy Delicious, Batman.  You wouldn't know the difference!
 

I love days like this... When you think to yourself, 'Gosh I have a lot of scrap croissant dough left.  I don't want to make Monkey Bread... what else can I do with it?"  And 'what else can I do' becomes Apple Fritter Crisp Bars... YUUUUUM.  :)  :)  :)


These are my Blueberry Almond Nectarine Muffins.  The owner's sister said it was the best muffin she's ever had in her life.  "The perfect combination of nutty and sweet."  I didn't disagree!  The nectarines and peaches from local Smallwood Farms tastes like pie in your mouth!!! PIE!!!  Not to mention, putting it in a muffin. Only babies are more delicious...

 
In the same vein, this is a Citrus Walnut Cranberry Muffin with Orange Glaze.  Tart and sweet and nutty... 

 
This is a Plum Apple Cinnamon Scone. FYI... The plums are off the hook, too!  Have you ever had a Bubblegum Plum?  I HAVE, SUCKA!'  ;)    Delish!  

 
 
When I make these it's hard not to eat them all... This is a Caramel Apple Pie Danish... Stewed apples, some caramel, streusel topping and a cinnamon glaze.  D*mn, Gina!  ;)

 
 
One of the first weeks I was working at the bakery, I ended up doing donuts very unexpectedly.  I've only made donuts once in my life and while the Apple Maple Bacon Donuts I made way back when turned out really well, I almost burned the apartment down!  Having to come up with a million different kinds in half an hour was a super fun challenge-- ACCEPTED!  :)    I made a gazquacktillion batch so the pressure was ON! :)
 
First  I made old school Powdered Sugar Donuts with Jelly Filling.  YUM. 

 
 
 
 
I made some Cinnamon Sugar Donuts pictured below.  I made Strawberry and Blueberry Filled & Glazed, Black & White Donuts, Bavarians... gosh, I can't even remember.  The batch made like-- 80 donuts.  Ha!  Donuts for days.. Whatever we had, ended up in or
on a donut!!!  You're lucky you weren't there... I would have made Donut.  :)


 
 
And here are some Coconut Donuts with Almond Glaze...
Despite the challenge, that was a fun day!!!  :)
 
 
 

 I also got to do some special order cookies over 4th of July weekend!  There's a hut on top of the ridgeline that has some locals up in arms saying it doesn't blend in with the natural surroundings, against the property codes.  So I got to do some 'Anti-Hut Cookies' for a fundraising event! These world famous cookies (haha!) ended up in the paper! 



 
Some folks from the event having fun with them...  :)
 
 
 
 
 
This is a Blueberry Nectarine Cheesecake Crumble Tart.  Yowsa!


 
 
I think good ol' apple pastries are a comfort food despite my love of blueberries and other delicious fruits.  For whatever reason, making a Caramel Apple Pie Turnover and drizzling said turnover with Cinnamon & Caramel Glazes makes my mouth water... I wanted to crunch my teeth into this but I didn't.  YOU SHOULD.  :)
 
 
I also got to do some super fun Half Moon Cookies.  In NYC, they're called Black & Whites and they're a thinner cookie with frosting. In upstate (the REAL DEAL when it comes to Half Moons, mind you...), they're called Half Moons.  It's a cake-ier cookie with chocolate and white buttercream.  Delicious!!!


 
Sweet Fancy Moses... Bea taught me how to make braided Raspberry Streudels... They're beautiful and dreamy.

 

 
Crispy on the outside... ooey gooey on the inside.  PERFECTION.  :)

 

 
And here's a medley I've done of some delicious fruit tarts!
 
 
 
We had a lot of apriums for a while.  What?  You've never heard of an aprium!?  I hadn't either!!!  It's  a cross between and a plum and apricot.  Like a pluot... only... you know... an aprium.  :)

 
I miss cherries... *sigh*


 
 
A Bavarian Turnover!  Next time I think I'd pipe the pastry cream inside... but this baked cream was pretty delicious.  Pretty delicious indeed!  :)

 
 
We got a whole bunch of pistachios in (I LOVE PISTACHIO!!!!) and I made pistachio croissants!  We don't have pistachio paste so I homemade our own!  God, I love pistachio croissants.  Have I mentioned that?  Cause pistachio... I love it.   

 
I believe these are some Nectarine Almond Scones. 
We make a D*MN GOOD scone at The General Store. 
We can't keep them on the shelf!  :)

 
Today on Chopped!  Frangipane, vanilla pastry cream, homemade pistachio paste and Kaplan cherries...

 
Every Saturday I make Stratas for Sunday.  It's always a free for all as to what produce we have, whether or not we have extra sausage on hand, etc. I never had strata before I had to make it.  Now?  Not only am I the Strata Queen but I hereby doth decree Strata pretty freakin' tasty.  Ha! 



Cupcakes made with beer. 
Nothing else to say!
 

 
Cherry Pistachio Morning Roll with Almond Glaze.
Have you heard how I feel about pistachio?

 
Ode to Susina Bakery!  When I worked there they made these Mont Blancs and they were delicious!  It's carmelized almonds on a shortbread crust, dipped in chocolate.  I'm not sure how they made theirs but this is how they made mine.  An amazing bakery in LA-- when you leave Mazama, be sure to check out Susina next!  :) 

 
 
Nothing says summer like Key Lime Pie!  :)

 
Okay, maybe a Berry Bread Pudding made with local, organic fruit...
...and homemade baguettes.  :)



A really simple Carrot Cake special order...

 
Bea did some awesome Raspberry Cheesecake Bars... Thick & hearty!

 
 
My very first Ice Cream Cake!
For our Miss Katie's boyfriend...
 

 
It was a chocolate cake with chocolate brownie ice cream and a layer of blackberry filling inside.  I'm not a big fruit & chocolate girl myself (with the exception of chocolate dipped strawberries) but I'm glad my Katie-piller is!  :)

 
Blueberry Almond Scones...
Brings a tear to your eye...

 
Gluten Free Almond Macarons.
If pistachio didn't exist, my heart would belong to almond.

 
Some very simple Blueberry Cupcakes.  Vanilla cake, blueberry filling, lemon buttercream...

 
Flourless Chocolate Cake with Bittersweet Ganache.
Sweet Fancy Moses...

 
Strawberry Almond Chocolate Chip!

 
BEAR CLAWS!!!
I LOOOOOOOOOOVE BEAR CLAWS!!!
 
I am so excited I know how to make these. 
I make them all the time.
Bear Claws= Almond= You Already Know What I'm Gonna Say so...


Orange Cupcakes... :)

 
Granola Morning Roll...

 
BANANA CREAM PIE
WITH CARAMEL WHIPPED CREAM.
That is all.

 
I also get to make quiches on Saturdays...
This was a Spicy Sausage & Gorgonzola Quiche. 
I'm a fan!

 
 A special order Raspberry Chocolate Cake for a Wedding/Birthday Party.

 
A Cherry Ginger Pistachio Pastry with Almond Pastry Cream.
Have I mentioned I miss cherries?
Have I mentioned my love of pistachio?
And my second to pistachio love of almond?
*Tears*

 
Plum Nectarine Galette.
The fruit itself tastes like PIE. 
 I've already said this as well.  But seriously... 
They grow fruit here you need to stand over your kitchen sink to eat. 
Soooo delicious!!!!


Peanut Butter Pie...
 
...wait for it...
 
...with Chocolate Ganache...
 
...wait one more time...
 
...With a salted sugar crust.
 
 
 
Local Almond Peach Muffins...

 
Strawberry Maple Muffins!!!  A customer bought one... ate it.
And then bought nine more.
 
BEST COMPLIMENT EVER. :)  :)  :)

 
 
And there you have it, folks!  The latest goods from The General Store in Mazama.  Stop by!!!  Every day is different... every day you get delicious treats.
 
So proud to work here!  I love my job!  :)  :)  :)
 
 
Pistachios and cherries and almonds and peaches & nectarines and any other fruit that tastes like pie,
MandiCrocker
 

1 comment:

Robyn said...

HOW DO YOU DO ALL THIS?!??!

This is amazing!! I want to go to this General Store SOOO badly. We have general stores in Vermont...but...you know, not like this!!

Wow!!!