July 01, 2013

Aunt Ruth's Rhubarb Dessert

Today from Mazama I'm going to share with you my favorite new recipe:  Aunt Ruth's Rhubarb Dessert.  My 'uncle' got this recipe from his Aunt Ruth back in the day and it is 8,000% my new favorite thing!  It is the PERFECT combination of tart and sweet and ridiculously easy to make!
 
This is the original recipe that makes an 8x8 pan of deliciousness.  You know it's old when it calls for Oleo!   

 
My uncle also told me to use a heck of a lot more rhubarb so my adapted recipe for a 13x9 pan using extra rhubarb is below.  Not to toot my own horn, but it came out terrifically!!!  I'd be very wary of using less rhubarb.  It'd be waaay to sweet, me thinks!

 
 
Until I came to Mazama, I had never really worked with rhubarb.  My grandmother made the rhubarb pies so it's nothing we ever had in the house.  I've always been scared to use it because I didn't know how to use it. 
 



Nonsense!  It's like Christmas celery!  You harvest it, wash it off and chop it up like celery.  It is incredibly tart so it goes well with strawberries or in a dessert like this one.  You can freeze rhubarb just like any other fruit as well.  Probably common sense to you fine people but isn't it interesting what we know based on how we're raised?  There's a lady here that cans her own salmon.  She's from Alaska.  My mom never canned her own salmon but she did make a mean apple pie!  I digress...



 
Aunt Ruth's Rhubarb Dessert is not much to look at but she's got a heart of gold, let me tell you.  I could eat this for days.  And we did!  In the words of 'Steel Magnolias,' you'll need to serve it with ice cream 'to cut the sweetness.'  We ate it with homemade whipped cream. 
 
FREAKING DELICOUS!!!!
 
(Sorry, I've been pretty subdued in this blog.  I couldn't contain it any longer!!!!!!!!)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Make this now or go through life a little bit less of a foodie.  AND I WILL JUDGE.  ;)
 
MandiC.
 
 
INGREDIENTS:
 
2 c. sifted flour
1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
4 beaten eggs
3 c. sugar
1 1/4 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
6 c. finely chopped rhubarb
 
Blend flour, powdered sugar and butter together with a pastry cutter or Cuisinart or your hands.  Press into the bottom of a 13x9 inch pan.  Bake for 15 minutes at 350.
 
Mix together remaining ingredients & spoon over the top of the crust.  Bake for 35 minutes.
 
That's it.  You're done!!!!  EASY PEASY!!!  YAY!!!  :)  :)  :)
 
 


No comments: